Wayne is going to be one of the preeminent 19th century United States historians in the next decade. Mark my words.
It's a bold statement, sure, but after you listen to what he's done and what he's been through, I think you'll agree.
Wayne's what the university system calls a "non-traditional student." He served in the Gulf War as a Marine, worked for the U.S. Postal Service, and ran a successful newspaper distribution company. After the 2008 economic downturn, he lost the company and did something I would've told him never to do: go back to school.
He went to a community college in the pursuit of studying U.S. history and never turned back. His curriculum vitae is stacked, his knowledge is vast, and he's a true source of wisdom and inspiration.
Quote of the Show: "My main research focus is 1830s to 1860s north central Illinois - DeKalb, LaSalle, Kendall, Kane counties - and I realized this was a highly productive, very influential region that actually helped build Chicago. Chicago would've never gotten off the ground without this region. It became an economic battlefield with the long-standing St. Louis and this up-start community called Chicago[...]and it became more and more evident this research focus had an immense gap and it was highly important to the story of the United States."
Guru™ Show Notes (What's Mentioned in the Podcast, In Order):
- Wayne Duerkes LinkedIn Profile
- Wayne Duerkes Curriculum Vitae
- "How To Read A Book In One Hour" from Northwest History Blog
- Wayne's Crazy Home Library
- Primary and Secondary Sources - Ithaca College Library
- "I For One Am Ready To Do My Part," The Initial Motivations that Inspired Men from Northern Illinois to Enlist in the U.S. Army, 1861-1862. Wayne Duerkes.
- "There's No Valley So Sweet" Market Development in the Lower Fox Valley River Region, 1833-1852. Wayne Duerkes.
- Dan Carlin's Hardcore History - Kings of Kings
- Lonely Island Book Pick - What Hath God Wrought: The Transformation of America, 1815–1848 by Daniel Walker Howe
- Lonely Island Music Pick - Led Zeppelin IV
- Lonely Island Website Pick - Ancestry.com
"The Jake Lawrence Podcast is a weekly online radio show dedicated to interviewing Chicago thought leaders of all industries with a technology-minded edge. Sponsored by Corporate Suites Network, the premier vendor of Chicago furnished apartments and Chicago short term rentals."